Monday, April 16, 2018

i got a friend named Bob

Everyone should have a Bob like this Bob.  My Bob goes by king@kingofcarrentals.com

Why do you need this Bob in the age of Kayak and priceline and all those other businesses that scrape prices and let you self-service things like car rentals.  Cause Bob is better.

How so?

1.  We were going to be in Miami over X-mas week and every airport car rental was like $900.  I emailed Bob and he got me one for $350.  And not at some spooky off market place--that was National Car rental at MIA airport ---with Emerald Isle pick up to skip all the lines.

2.  I was stranded in Steamboat due to a snowstorm.  I emailed Bob and asked if he could get me a car so I could drive to a different airport (one way drop off SUV car).  He made it happen.  When I got to the airport in Steamboat they said there are no one way rentals available of any cars (little less an SUV).  I asked them to check their system and there was my reservation.  The agent said how the heck did you make that happen---I said thank you Bob.

3.  I just got back from spring break in Mexico.  Mexico reminds me a little bit of the Joe Pesci line in lethal weapon 2  "they always fuck you at the drive through'.  In this case when you get to the rental counter expecting and having paid for a full size SUV and they give you an econo shit box instead and you argue for some discount you find that no ones speaks English.  When you return the car at 5:30 AM on Easter Sunday you can be sure there is no one to address the issue with.  But once I got back stateside I emailed bob and next thing you know I am getting refunded $115.

Bob ain't free--he costs about $28 per rental.  And sometimes on a plain vanilla rental he doesn't do much or any better than what you find listed on Kayak.  But other times he is worth his weight in gold.

The last time I skipped using Bob I had my wife rent from Dollar at Dulles airport last summer.  Their rate was $40 bucks less than Bob's at National.  I went cheap.   Seems everyone else did as well.  My wife called me from the rental line--it took her just over 2 hours to get the car.  While she didn't divorce me she made it very clear that I had used up one of my 9 lives---to save $40 bucks.  I won't do that again.


Moral of the story---sometimes it's actually worth paying a service fee--it just might save you some money (anyone ever try to fight with Priceline --that is a no win situation), save you time and save you hassle. 

I hope I can find more Bob's--they are worth their weight in gold.


1 comment:

  1. hey!
    I prefer to book a car in advance. Your Bob could help get a discount on an order already made, for example in Miami Rentals ?

    ReplyDelete