Friday, July 20, 2018

quick hits

one of the local parks (crown mountain) has opened a 'playground' for the 50-older set.  Oh my, I guess I qualify.  I don't think of myself as '0ld' and I think I am in pretty good shape but now I am being sent to the old peoples playground.  Ugh

my daughter is enjoying aspen a ton.  she loves being able to ride to the stream near by and jumping off the bridge and rope swing  (see above).  She also performed a huge good deed when some 20 year old guy lost his dad's POW bracelet when he was jumping off the bridge.  My daughter zipped home, grabbed her mom's goggles, went back and dove around the stream till she found the lost bracelet.  Way to go S.

As she has gotten more comfortable with living here her requests for a longer leash have increased.  Yesterday she asked if she and a friend could go to Glenwood Cavern Adventure park.  She said she would pay for it, and take the bus to and from the amusement park.  For those of you who don't live here she was asking to take a bus 43 miles from home to roam an amusement park on her own.  Glenwood is also on the other side of the fire (which is growing again).  Her parents applauded her spunk and then said NO.

The fire is growing again.  Flights are canceled between 9am and 9 pm again. Its been over 2 weeks since the fire started.  Its really weird to kinda getting used to there being a real danger so near by.  The new normal.  Weird, and unsettling. 

Lastly there is some data showing Aspen real estate prices softening.  This shouldn't come as too much of a surprise with real estate prices up 30%+ over the past 3 years, but its interesting to see.  I continue to think all US asset prices are way over done and just waiting for final push to tumble.  I am often too early in this kind of thinking, but could Aspen real estate be the canary in the coal mine?


No comments:

Post a Comment