Thursday, February 2, 2017

compare and contracts --road rage, guns and 5th graders

So a quick follow up to the pedestrian who smashed his hand on my car and yelled and cursed about me being in the crosswalk (while he made infinitely better time than I did in my car).

Pretty much every one of my Aspen friends (male and female) were shocked.... that I didn't get out of the car and beat the crap out of him.  Or at least get in a fight.  Every one of my Chicago friends were shocked that I unrolled my window and gave him a piece of my mind.  Difference is in Chicago you might get shot for calling someone out, and in Aspen that kind of behavior leads to a fist fight (you should see the police log).

That difference reminded me of another.  My daughter's 5th grade class had to do a writing assignment around their Thanksgiving break.  Out of her class of 22 kids 6 wrote about killing deers over Thanksgiving.  And we got the full bloody story from sitting in a blind, to eating the meat and everything inbetween (all kind of tips about harvesting the meat).  In Chicago if kids had written this stuff they would be meeting with the principal and probably the school shrink.  Out here it's just a fun weekend activity.

So in Chicago if you react to someone's road (pedestrian) rage you might get shot, but in Aspen you are supposed to man up and throw some punches.  Yet if your kid writes about blood and guts and guns in Chicago they get hauled into speak to the authorities.  I can't square this circle so I won't even try.


No comments:

Post a Comment