Thursday, February 9, 2017

that was different

Today I got an email from the Aspen school district alerting me that the school was on lockdown.

What the heck does that mean?

A subsequent email informed me that no one could enter or leave the school until they determined that the credible threat was no longer credible.  We got updates every hour updating us that the status was unchanged until about 1 pm when the lockdown ended.  During the 10 years my son went to a Jewish day school in Chicago (likely ISIS target right?) there was never a lockdown.  My daughter did get locked down on the Southside when a kid threatened violence against U of Chicago students (all she did was go to a school in the hood).

Anyhow my kids handled it well and their only complaint was no recesses.  Some parents not so much.  Lots of texts to their kids at school asking if everything was OK.  I did a quick serenity prayer of what I can and can't control and decided to go skiing.

Which brings me to difference number two.  It was 50+ degrees today.  What do you wear skiing when it's smoking hot.  Well I wore ski pants (to keep the corn snow off my legs), a tee shirt (to prevent chaffing) and my lightest jacket (to hold stuff and keep snow off of me), plus socks.  That's all and that was a pretty good choice.  Did you noticed what I didn't wear?  I didn't really till I started bouncing through some slushy moguls and then I noticed.  Way too much bouncing around.  Next time I add the speedo or something with some support to that outfit.




No comments:

Post a Comment