Thursday, March 16, 2017

slipping day 3 & 4

no mistakes.  I didn't wipe out and tumble down and hit a b-net and have to get hauled out by course crew.  I think I even managed to push the right piles, fill up the holes and smooth most of the ruts.  And my partner gave me a copy of his book.

And what an experience.  I can't think of any other sport where they would let volunteers on during the course and actually give them an important job (namely maintaining the integrity of the course).  It would be kinda like asking you to be a bunny (a fast lead out runner ) in the chicago marathon, or do turns around the mark between races in America's cup.  But that doesn't happy.  In my ongoing efforts to compare and contrast Chicago to Aspen, I am just coming up short on a comparison.

Today was brutal for the racers---a very tuff Super G course sent almost half of the women to DNF, many with spectacular crashes.  I got to watch an Italian woman lose a bunch of her teeth in a crash.  There was a for runner (pre race warm up racer) who fell about a quarter of the course.  Ugh.  Was I scared.  You betcha.

I do think the town is doing a great job hosting including busting out the Aspen middle school jazz band to play post game apres ski.  That would be my son on guitar.

And it was hot.  How hot.  Below is yours truly on course as a hot sweaty mess.



And it was steep and scary.  I saw all the ITL women go down--I did not see Lindsey's fall but I do know the slippers you see hustle past.

she lost about 6 teeth in this wipe out--and its about 1//4 of the course

next ITL woman to wipe out--how tuff to bounce right back up

vonn --so fast so close and ohhhhh no

No comments:

Post a Comment