Tuesday, April 25, 2017

thats a wrap on ski season---and it just snowed about 8in up top (and its gonna keep coming)

Sunday my family got out on Ajax for the final day of lift serviced skiing.  It was crazy--so much so that my daughter freaked out and demanded to go home.  Seems the adult slip in slide, 3 hot tubs and guys launching flips while holding beers in their hands was just too much for her.

It was just right by me.  The lifties built a huge jump next to the Ajax express lift and some of the big air moves being pulled were right out of Warren Miller movies.  Super cool.  And if you can do a 720 without spilling your beer all the more impressive.  The final run down the ridge of bell included some slushy moguls big enough to hide my kids behind.  Great fun.

A quick review of the year:

Total ski days made possible by Ski Co                 151
My total ski days                                                      50
number of closing days I skied                                   3
number of opening days I skied                                  0
number of days I skied Buttermilk                              0
Most frequently skied mountain                               Snowmass by a long shot--proximity
Least frequently skied mountain                            Highlands---hard to get to
Favorite mountain                                                    highlands
Fresh Tracks?                                                          Yes--first down the Gulch on a bluebird pow day
Worst Tracks                                                            Boomerang Woods--all ice death cookies
Naked skier                                                              Yes --pond skimmer at closing day of highlands
Naked female skier                                                  No
Best early season quote                      Son--jeez this terrain makes Mt Chestnut (420' vert) seem epic
Best late season quote                  daughter--isn't there anything tougher than Cirque or hanging valley
number of days the kids skied                                  about 25 each
number of times my kids complained about skiing   every time they skied with me
number of out of CO skiers eating edibles on lift         too many to count
Number of Aud and Brazil skiers in January                too many to count
number of times I ate lunch on the mountain               3 ---too expensive to count
number of full days I skied (over 4 hours)                    1
number of days it was so hot I wore only boxers          10
number of days I side slipped over 40 mph                    5
number of slippers I saw dragged of course                   2
number of orthopedic surgeons I saw poop their pants      2 (at world cup course conditions)
number of times I hikked up to ski                                 0 --but if it keeps snowing that might change

Great ski year.  Can't wait to do it again next year.




No comments:

Post a Comment