Thursday, June 1, 2017

Big city vs small town part ---don't know lost track

Over memorial day weekend I took my daughter to LA-Anaheim to play some hockey, go to Disney land and see her aunt and niece.

Just some quick background info about the populations of various cities I have lived in:

NYC 8.5M
Los Angeles 4M
Chicago 3M
Aspen 8k

One of these cities is not like the other.

So we landed in LAX --grabbed the rental car and drove to my sister's place near the tar pits via La Cienega.  All of 7.8 miles.  Total time 55 minutes.  Number of times I had to cross 3-4 lanes of traffic to make a turn--3.  Fun factor --very low.  Why not zero?--my daughter got to listen to and control the radio during the drive.  I really do miss radio and Los Angeles has a ton of options.  We rocked and we bubble gum popped and rapped and even enjoyed some south of the border salsa.

We went out to dinner--parking was hard, dirt and homeless abounded.  The next day we drove to Anaheim for the start of her hockey tourney (playing A level hockey --the only girl in the tournament at her level, with a team she had never met until that day---I am very proud of her).  Distance 34 miles--drive time 1 hour and 15 minutes.  Fun factor see above.

The first two games she played were at maybe the coldest rinks I have been at --and had the smallest locker rooms.  Kinda crazy going from 80 degrees to 20 but I managed.  And then to Disney with my sister and young niece.  We got to Disney Land around 1 pm and my daughter and I stuck around till about 10 pm (remember she has two games the next day).  I am once again reminded why I go to Disney once every 8 years or so ---its about as often as I go and ski Snowbird.  I forget why I stay away and get convinced to go there and then well blah.  Line to ride Matterhorn was 55 minutes.  The ride hasn't gotten any better over the past 40 years but the line is still epic.  On the plus side there were no lines to speak of on the California adventure side and we looped the California screamer a number of times--including in the dark.  That was great fun.

Leaving LA--after dropping off rental car it took 55 minutes on the shuttle bus to get to our gate.  Total drive couldn't have been more than 1 1/2 miles and it took 55 minutes.  When we landed in Aspen I called my wife and she and son left town after we taxied and met us at the airport in our car right outside of the gate.  Yes I do miss some of what the big cities have to offer (from radio and pro sports teams to tons of hockey rinks and every store you can imagine) but I sure don't miss the headaches.

PS    Chicago had a great memorial day weekend compared to last year --this year only 52 people shot (7 fatally) as opposed to last year where 71 were shot.  Yea, I don't miss that at all--in Aspen some guy hopped up on coke was arrested for running down the street naked.  High class problems in my small town.

PPS  Check engine light has gone on in the Porsche--is another trip to Denver in my future?



No comments:

Post a Comment