Friday, June 16, 2017

summer time is here (and CO-Pitkin loses to IL-Cook on this one)

Living in Chicago I got used to paying an ever increasing rate for my new license plate and city sticker.  I think last year my zone 143 sticker (highly coveted) and plates cost a total of about $150.

The CO sticker for my Porsche is $750 and my Toyota highlander is $485.  And that doesn't allow me to park anywhere in Aspen or Snowmass.  Yikes.  That is a serious chunk of change to pay per year.

Oh wait and there is a $20 per sticker charge on top of that to self service on line--I will be going by the Pitkin County office and doing this in person and spending my $40 on a couple of cold beers.  I would rant about the additional charges to self service --should be a discount, but I've been listening to too much happy summer time music to get worked up.

Summer time.  My son is off sailing all over the eastern seaboard.  The wife is getting him set up. My daughter is skating way too much and stinking up the house, but I  am missing (not at all) the lovely scent that emanates from my son's sailing gear.  In Chicago we started leaving the gear on the back deck but then the neighbors complained ---no lie.

The peaks still have a touch of snow but it's mostly gone.  It's hot during the days in the sun and cool at night except in my bedroom which is over the boiler room.  My Aspen bedroom feels a lot like my DC bedroom in the late 80s--hot and sticky.  And with all the windows open my dogs are doing a lovely job of singing with the coyotes during the wee hours.

A great thing about the seasonal jobs in Aspen is during the summer Aspen businesses need workers,  so if you are 14 or older and willing to work there are jobs for you.  Many of my friends kids are slaving away this summer scooping ice cream at ye old ice cream shoppe (Paradise Bakery), working the Isis movie theater or bussing tables.  Ah it brings back memories.

And town is hopping.  Food and wine is going on so the private jets are stacked up at Sardie airport, town is busy with people turning the streets into pop up pedestrian malls, and the couple of remaining liquor stores (pot shops outnumber liquor stores 3:1) are sold out of champagne.  That is a little different than my youthful summer memories.

We've got John Popper playing a freebie next Thursday night at Snowmass village at 6:30, but before that I got my daughter pulling solo father's day duty this Sunday.  She mentioned something about making me dinner and getting a husky puppy from the animal shelter.  Oye.

Happy dads day to all you guys out there.  If I get stuck training a puppy I hope you do too.


No comments:

Post a Comment