Monday, September 17, 2018

fun with my son

for those of you who have teenage boys you might find that fun with your son is a rare experience.  Mostly I get eye rolls and grunts with the occasional request for me to do something for him.

But every now and then there is some good stuff.

My boy went to JAS every day-including opening night where we enjoyed Michael Franti.  I took off after the first show, but he stuck around to listen to .................lionel Richie.  WTF right?  My Zep, Hendrix, Pearl Jam son sticking around for Richie.  Well, with the number of high school girls hanging around he decided it was worth sticking around too. 

After about 3 songs he decided he couldn't take it and got in line to catch a bus back home.  That was right before the storm broke and the whole event was evacuated.  He got to catch this priceless gem while waiting in line from a woman with fake everything who was cutting all the lines.

"I have 3 houses, I don't wait in lines'

Love it.

My son is also taking debate which suits him perfectly.  He pretty much debates everything, and is usually found on the liberal side of things but is learning how to support either side which is excellent.  He does have some trouble debating stupidity though.  One of the kids in his class believes the globe is warming but not due to anything man has done but because " the sun is moving closer to the earth".  Ya can't make this shit up.  SO I suggested a Trumpian riff that while the sun is moving closer Trump is fighting that by supporting coal.  Coal plants of course have those big exhaust towers which are pushing the earth away from the sun.  Go coal.  My son was laughing so hard he almost puked.

Last but surely not least my boy is 15 so he is working towards getting his licenses---yea 3 of em.  Piolets, level 1 US sailing coaches, and driving.  Which is going to take the longest?  Driving, by a long shot.  These days a CO drivers license requires 30 hours of coursework, passing a test, 50 hours of practice driving and 6 hours with an instructor.  and then the license you get is heavily limited.  I guess they have never heard of having a designated driver, because everyone has to drive their own cars until they are like 40 (or maybe 18 or 21 depending).  But given that he is going to fly a plane way before he can drive a car on his own, this looks like a case of the road to hell being paved with good intentions.


No comments:

Post a Comment