Wednesday, September 12, 2018

about my drivers license

I've got to get a Colorado driver's license.  First stop--the CO website to find all the documents I need.

First, I need my out of state driver's license with enhancement indicator (unexpired).  check

Then I need either my social security card (original and not laminated)--I order one because I have no clue where my original one is (in some box in storage in Chicago no doubt).  Lucky, I did that months ago--check.

I need two forms of proof of where I live (utility bill, credit card statement, banks statement etc).  This is actually a little tricky because all the utility bills are in our landlords name, as is homeowners insurance, etc, but I manage to grab a credit card bill and bank statement and head to the DMV in glenwood springs---45 miles and about an hour drive away.

After about a 30 minute wait everything is looking good UNTIL I find out that CO is a FULL NAME STATE.  None of this is anywhere on their website but it seems that I ran into the full name issue because my passport and driver's licence have just my middle initial on them BUT my social security card has my full middle name on it.  I am told I must dig out my original birth certificate with my full name on it in order to get a CO driver's license. 

Now the clock is ticking because my IL driver's license expires in 3 and a half weeks.  I drive home and print out the form to get my birth certificate sent to me from MO department of records.  I have to get this form notarized, and send in a check for $15 plus two stamps.  Turn around is supposed to be 5-7 business days.  14 business days later I don't have my birth certificate so I use an expedited service which costs me $50 bucks.  Expedited service delivers certificate 2 days later.  Check.

Assuming my trip to the DMV this week is successful the cost to get a CO driver's license is going to be 6 hours of my time over two days $15 of gas, $66 to get my birth certificate. $25 to get social security card, and $28 for the license itself.

Grand total 6 hours of my time over two days and $144. 

(yesterday I got my CO drivers license--yea)

Which brings me to voter suppression and poll taxes.  Requiring a state ID or driver's license (with you current address) is expensive and a hassle.  Think of a 20 something year old who is moving every year doing this every year.  Think of an older person who can't driving trying to deal with this.  Realize there is NO, ZERO, ZIP evidence of any real voter fraud to influence elections (and by that I mean California state residents voting in Wyoming, or St. Louis residents voting 10 times to swing elections).  Do realize that if you moved 1 block but didn't notify the election board of your move and you voted you did technically commit voter fraud.  Who wants to grab their drivers license, birth certificate, social security card, passport and proof of location and visit the DMV every time they move?

As a country we have pretty poor turnout at elections (running about 55% for presidential years and in the 40s for off years).  A healthy democracy is one where people vote---lets make it easier to vote not harder.  And yes the GOP is right to be scared.  Every year there are more votes for for DEM candidates than GOP candidates for the US House and Senate, and usually the president too---only gerrymandering, voter suppression and non proportional voter representation gives the GOP the majorities they now have.

As a side note on this political rant--who remembers the American revolution?  If I recall correctly the impetus was no taxation without representation.  There are a number of states (such as California) who pay more in federal taxes than they receive (they receive about 75 cents for every $1 they send to the federal government).  Other states like New Mexico and West Virginia receive close to $2 for every buck.  However, with each state getting 2 senators regardless of population a vote in CA is worth about 1/22 of a vote in West Virginia for the US Senate.  One might argue that CA is being taxed without appropriate representation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment