Saturday, June 4, 2016

why aspen?

let me count the ways......well today I am going to focus on one way.  Cost.  Property taxes in Chicago run about 13k per million in home valuation.  Property taxes in Aspen run about 1.3k per million.  (and yes property is quite expensive in Aspen---painful even especially if you want someplace with a kitchen that lends itself to Thanksgiving dinner not reheating pizza).  But if your Aspen home doesn't lose too much in value paying 5k a year in property taxes over the next 15 years in Aspen vs. 50k (and climbing) in the Windy city leaves you about 700k richer.

Schools.  Aspen public has about 150 kids per grade and is ranked in the top 100 public schools in the country (but school ranks are a scam more on that in the future).  From the research I have done I think my kids will get a good-great education in Aspen, and I will save about 70k a year not paying private school bills Chitown.  While there are some good-great public schools in Chicago, admission is hardly assured while striking is likely, resources limited and safety questionable, and the admission process as stressful as applying to college (who in their right mind would want to do that twice)?

But everything else costs more in Aspen right?  Well hockey in Chicago runs 3-10k a year.  Hockey in aspen is $100X the age of the kid.  Local season lift ticket passes are the cost of 9 days for the out-of-towner.  The bus is free vs $2.50 in Chicago.  Sales tax is about 1.7% less as well.

So yea Aspen is my low cost alternative to raising a family in a Big City saving me about $125k per year from lower property taxes and public school, and skipping the family ski vacation.  At least that is what it looks like from my desk in Chicago.  I'll report back the true costs as they happen.

Final fun fact 2003-2014 zero murders in Aspen, vs well I have the honor (horror) of living in the most dangerous city in North America.

40 days till I do my Chevy Chase impersonation except Wally World has become Aspen.

2 comments:

  1. Danny, you had me at Aspen. My kids are going to love living with you in the winters. I'll text you their socials for school enrollment. #lovethisadventure

    ReplyDelete
  2. We made the same move three years ago, myself, wife, 2 boys and the dog and have loved it. While living in Aspen sounds good we prefer Snowmass Village for a myriad of reasons. If you have questions or would like to talk about the move let me know. I feel like I am an expert in the transition.

    Brett

    ReplyDelete