Thursday, December 29, 2016

x-mas trees and other notes

Ok so about those Christmas trees.  In Chicago my local supplier charged about $10 bucks a foot.  Family owned business with a couple of the brothers always drunk and handing out shots of whiskey for the adults and candy for the kids while wielding the chainsaw and giving a fresh cut and lashing to the roof of the car without tieing to the car door jams.  Trees are also displayed open and they bind them up for the ride home.  Aspen --we went to Basalt Whole Foods--trees were very fresh, and cost was $50 for the big trees (5-8 feet).  Trees were pre-bound and they couldn't open then because they had no way to rebind them, they had a wimpy little chain saw which didn't give a good fresh cut, they broke the top of the tree when mounting it on top of car, and they screwed up car doors by tieing tree to jams in car doors.  No whiskey or candy either.

Your call on which is better.

We had a white Christmas which was lovely.  More of the mountain is open for skiing which is great.
I recently received some correspondence from my new health care company which was addressed to myself, wife and son---wait what about daughter?  So I called them, and after waiting on hold for 58 minutes discovered that yes she is covered too, and they are not sure why she wasn't included in cards that were sent etc.  Can I have my hour back?

My check engine light went on in my German car.  Nearest dealership is in Denver (140 miles away). They towed it there for free and fixed the problem which was under warranty for free as well in about an hour.  Then they called me and asked about when I was going to come pick it up.  Uhhhhh.  Humm.  Let me get back to you on that.

Lastly my son is off racing (sailing) in Miami this week.  He is sailing in a new class of boat, and is undoubtedly the youngest kid in the class (average age is probably 17 and he is 13).  His teammate also has never sailing in a race at this level (where the crew 'traps' and they also use a spinnaker).  So our hope was that he not finish dead fccking last.  I can't tell you how nice it is as a parent to have such low performance expectations.  This race is just about experience and joy and who cares where he places.  It feels great.  Also so far avoiding the DFL overall finish.

If you want to see what some high end 420 racing looks like click on the link below ---you can see what trapping looks like and having 3 sails out on a 420 CM long boat.

420 sydney champs


and another

No comments:

Post a Comment