Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Questions for the NRA---Tahoe part 2

So as I am sure you inferred from my previous post we did not stay in the most fancy of neighborhoods in South lake.  After arriving we walked (me and dogs--daughter is on her scooter) down towards the lake.  As we prepared to cross highway 50 and Ski Run BLVD to get to the lake my daughter looked up Ski Run and said:

"hey dad why is that guy walking down the middle of the street with a long gun?"

Great question but before we get to that some background.  I grew up with a shotgun in my closet.  I have more NRA sharpshooter patches (from the 70s when the NRA was about gun safety and education not gun rights and gun sales) than I could fit on one jacket, and I have read just about all the Robert Ludlum books.  Using my Jason Bourn skills I peeked at the guy with the gun and decided to cross the street to join the large crowds by the lakefront where we were less likely to stand out as an individual target and we could always retreat into the water.  We walked around for a bit, and then decided to try heading back home.  When we got back to the intersection 4 police SUVs had pulled up and the police had their guns pointed at the aforementioned guy from behind their doors while discussing next steps.

OK NRA---my daughter asks why are the police harassing--looking to arrest the guy?

I said " he was acting kinda strange and had a gun."

She says well assuming he has a permit and he looks to be over 21 and a bit drunk what is the problem?

Great question.  Was this a jaywalking bust?  NRA how do I answer my daughter?

Also for all you second amendment rights folks---if the guy up the street with the AR 15 had felt threatening to me should I have pulled my Sig Sauer and charged him to close the distance fast and eliminate the threat?  With an AR-15 he has both more rounds and much more effective range.  I do have two dogs who would charge with me and give me a chance at closing from 150 meters to 15-20 meters where I feel pretty confident I could land 5 out of 17 rounds.  Yea right.  And the moment I pull my piece I am now a clear and present danger to others, does the guy with the AR unload on me and my daughter and poor pups?  What about other bystanders?  Now you got two guys running around waving guns--what is to say they don't feel threatened and pull their weapons for self defense.

Or let's say I choose a slightly more defensive posture--I pull my weapon but leave it pointed towards the ground while backing towards the heavily populated lakefront.  Again that could be perceived as dangerous by others around the lake who then might have started a gunfight with me.

Seriously NRA this is a safer world?

End result I didn't have a weapon, nor did anyone else besides the crazy guy and the police who managed to disarm him without firing a shot.

Back to my daughter's question--what law did he break?  And why am I sure that having everyone carry a piece is a sure way to more shooting deaths.


No comments:

Post a Comment