Monday, September 25, 2017

where did the middle go??????

not my middle--it's growing nicely in my old age.  Nope that middle that it seems both of our political parties are oh so worried about.  The middle class.  But that is not exactly what this post is about.

I didn't read, but had quoted to me ad nauseum the book Good to Great, but why do we need to be great at everything.  Can't being good be good enough?

The adulation heaped on employees in Silicon Valley working 100 hour weeks (my generation's investment bankers), gives me the the creeps.  And I know employee's productivity becomes negative above 55 hours a week and I wonder why we celebrate this assine approach.

I see very few average physical performances in Aspen.  Everyone is either skinning up some 14er, cycling like a tour rider wannabe, or performing some other ridiculous physical feat.  What happened to the guys who skied intermediate and advanced ski runs?  Did they all either retire or become X game athletes. Why do I have to do yoga better today than yesterday?  Why should my down dog be a competition against myself or others?

Why do we expect our kids athletic pursuits to put them in line for a college scholarship.  And if not they shouldn't distract from those who are.  My son wanted to swim for exercise, but his choices are learn to swim (after 3 years of swim team he can swim pretty good) or swim 7 times a week, which he has no interest in.  Similar issues with skiing where he wants to grow and improve his skills, but it's either learn to ski (uh he can ski) or a ski team.  In this case we managed to find a junior ski team, but we have no expectation that he will even bother to compete.  He just wants to ski hard stuff better.  And maybe make a new friend or two.  Is he crazy for wanting that?

And what about middle of the road housing.  Housing is obviously a huge issue in Aspen.  But back in the 70s many of the houses being built were 2500-3500 square feet.  That is a fine size house for a family of 4 to call home.  But the affordable housing built for families of 4-5 out here is often less than 2k square feet.  And guess what, after 4-5 years of cramped quarters many families leave.  Cause its too dang small.  If we want people to form families and teach at Aspen schools for 25 years we need to give them a home that they can and want to live in for 25 years not just a shelter they can survive in.

One of the nice things about being a worldly philosopher living in Aspen is it makes many issues very clear because it is so extreme.  Living in the land of 3 houses or 3 jobs, world class athletes, with 60% of the town living in subsidized housing while building 20,000 square foot homes clarifies stuff.  And what we don't have is enough middle.  In an effort to rectify that I am going to have a donut, and go on a slow bike ride up to Ashcroft.  I will be the guy with crumbs on my face a huge grin and an expanding midsection.

No comments:

Post a Comment