Wednesday, August 5, 2020

The most dangerous ski run in North America?




So I have moved rentals (more on that later), now I am back in Snowmass living in a ski in ski out house.  Guggenhill runs right next to my house ---like the run touches my house.  That is pretty cool and would be even cooler if the lifts are spinning (more on that later). However the stats in the pic don't do justice to my potential first/last run of the day.  Yea its steep.  Yea its ungroomed.  Yea it crosses the road 5 times, 6 driveways and runs next to a major road with snowplows pushing heaps of snow on the 'run'.  

Sometimes the most dangerous skiing isn't a cliff and 25 feet of mandatory air, its putting on the breaks on a steep run to cross a road and not get hit by a car while on rubber strip.  Simillarly I still think the most dangerous mountain I have ever skied is Mt. Chestnut in Illinois.  For sure it's not the steepest (with less vertical drop than Guggenhill).  However, they have a chain link fence at the bottom to keep people from skiing into the Mississippi river and its gets used because most skiers on on Olin Mark IVs and haven't yet figured out how to turn.  Getting run into by a 280lb farmer going 50mph will leave a mark.

Ditto my ski in ski out run---I am a 2 1/2 minute walk to Adams Av which seems a much better way to both start and end the day.

We do have a bunk room and a spare bedroom if skiing is happening and you don't have the Vid.


No comments:

Post a Comment