Wednesday, August 19, 2020

what you can learn from dogs----and should I stay or should I go?

first some housekeeping---if you are super duper into the blog and want an email alert put your email in the above box and follow the instructions.


What you can learn from dogs

Dogs should never EVER play poker---their tells are super obvious and easy to read.  If you can't read what they are telling you DO NOT get a dog and have someone check to see if you have a heart beat.

I am really cheap and scared of COVID.  Ergo I have not had my dogs groomed in probably 9 months.  They were really gross.  On Saturday I finally got them cleaned and they look, feel and smell fabulous.  Saturday, Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday I only walked them on their leashes.  By Wednesday they threatened legal action if they were not allowed to run on a trail off leash.  I acquiesced.   

Boy did they run.  The energy and excitement they brought to the trail was epic.  It was also a good reminder to take some days off.  Sometimes even doing the most fun thing (running on a trail, looking for mud and deer and bones) can lose some of the thrill if you do it every day.  Also my older (ish 8 years) dog gets sore after a 4-8 mile trail run and her performance really benefits from a day or two off.

And what is true for dogs is true for humans too.  Whether its interval hill training and shooting pucks for hockey, or trying to come up with a creative marketing message sometimes some time off is the secret to success.  Dogs, thanks for the reminder.  Now I must hose off their undercarriage.

Should I stay or Should I go?

My super power is seeing risks.  Sadly sometimes that means I just hide in the basement and don't take any which isn't a great strategy.  This little post goes out to Dr. K who is wondering---should I visit Aspen?

1.  Think about what can go wrong.  You are driving---what happens if you can't get here.  What happens if roads close again and it adds 8 hours to your trip.  If that just makes for a better story and you have the mental reserves and patience for the real risk that the commute get tuff then go for it---if any bump in the travel road seems too much to handle then stay home or go someplace closer to home.

2.  Be honest with yourself about the importance of air quality.  Check this great website

purpleair

Look at the average over the past week or so and be clear that yea the air could be really bad.  Do you mind recreating in harmful conditions?  If yes then maybe stay away, if not then come.  One of the nice things about purpleair is it makes clear (er) exactly how bad the air is.  It puts a number on it which might help people make more informed intelligent decisions.

3.  COVID----right now our number look good.  Could they get bad again.  Of course.  COVID is just a wild card, but I would suggest that as people start to return to school across the country we will see USA wide spike---what happens in Pitkin county is less obvious to me.

4.  Fire restrictions and fire.  Pretty much no fires allowed.  If that is a problem don't come, if not come.  Do you have chicken little itus?  If you are worried about being in a valley with limited points of egress some of which are challenging, others of which are already restricted by fire and you won't be able to sleep at night out of fear of a fire starting and trapping you in Aspen and burning you alive DONT COME.  If you got no fear of fire, are happy to leave at any warning of fire danger (and a long exit might be the order of the day) then come.

Bottom line, know the risks you are taking and only take the risks you are comfortable with.

About yesterdays help wanted ad for a MANNY named Tom Brady (but with hockey skills)

When I learned that the ad was real, I took my post down.  I don't mind taking the piss out of a group of people or an idea but going after a specific individual(s) isn't right.  Especially online.  Which is kinda a shame cause that help wanted ad was awesome.  

No comments:

Post a Comment