Friday, September 10, 2021

more COVID info from the front lines

 still no test results for my daughter.

While all my medical friends continue to tell me I am an idiot and don't know anything (as do members of the local board of health and the school superintendent), I do wonder how effective testing is as a tool to fight COVID if testing results take 3 or more days.  3 hours or less would be great, but honestly contact tracing when testing takes 3 days seems like a waste to me.  I know, I know clearly I don't understand.  But how useful will a positive test result for my daughter be?  Will Pitkin and the school district decide to test her entire EX Ed group, friends she had a sleepover with, friends at a party and ohhhhh the best part people in the VIP section at JAS.  Oh yea testing the VIPs is gonna be excellent.  Oh yea and the kids in her class room at school.  And of course her family and then after her family get results anyone and everyone we have had contact with over the past week.  

Speaking of COVID and JAS labor day music fest those same docs pointed to lollapalooza in Chicago and the (limited) evidence that lolla resulted in minimal COVID transmission.  What those same docs fail to note is Cook county at that time had a transmission and positivity rate half of what we had in Pitkin over labor day.  Maybe comparing an outdoor music event when CDC risk level is moderate (Chicago in August) vs high as it was in Pitkin during JAS labor day fest isn't really a informative comparison.  

Or maybe I am just clueless and my risk management brain just gets me into trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment