Monday, October 16, 2017

the best time to launch an attack is........wait first

between 3-4 am.

Did you know that?  Human's cognitive processing is at its lowest at that time.

Did you know one of the most effective forms of torture is to wake someone up right after they fall asleep?  Over and over again.

And my tale of woe is NOTHING compared to those in northern Cali fleeing wildfires, PR with no electricity or water or food, of folks in Houston or Florida who got walloped by a hurricane.  Nope my little tale is not even a pimple on the ass of those communities.

But did I tell you about last night?

Sunday 3 am our alarm system goes off.  Why (do we all get false alarms at 3 am)?  Because the temperature in the wine cellar has risen above a critical threshold.  I've got no wine in the wine cellar and normally wouldn't be running the AC in October to cool an empty room but the wine room AC also cools the 'smart' technology that runs the HVAC and AV systems.  And if the racks of equipment which are in a small enclosed space overheat it gets expensive in a hurry ergo I am paying to run the AC in the wine room and technology racks.  After a couple of attempts and phone calls with two different teams of security personnel and the property manager, I manage to bypass the alarm.  Back to bed at 6 am.  Did I mention that Saturday night was my 50 b day party involving a bit of drink and a late night?  Did I mention that Will Phalen (check him out and buy his music  will phalen  ) was staying at our house post show with his 1 year old daughter.

Fast forward to Sunday early evening.  My daughter tells me she is in so much pain she wants to die.  She has a searing pain in her head.  It feels like an ice pick is sticking in her eye.  And she is having trouble seeing out of her right eye.  A quick chat with a couple of doctors sends us the the ER.  Five hours later (around midnight) we return home with drugged up daughter (IV painkillers are the best).  Best guess is she had her first migraine.  While a bleed is still possible given how she went through the neurological test it seems unlikely.  Breath sigh of relief.  Go to sleep with one ear on daughter sleeping one floor below us.

Wake up at 3 am.  What the fuck was that noise?  With my adrenaline spiking my first thought is my daughter.  But my daughter wouldn't make a noise like that.  Second thought is that it has to be the alarm (having had it go off just the night before at 3am).  I turn the alarm off--but wait its already off and on funky bypass due to the unfixed issue from the day before.  However, trying to turn it off almost sets it off again (yes 3 am cognitive function is crap).  I manage to override alarm just before it starts full on blaring.

But what the fuck is that noise?  It's coming from the basement and sounds like this.



No that is not video from last years boiler blow-up.  That was this morning's boiler failure.  I immediately shut the boiler down.  But that doesn't help.  Every 5 minutes the boiler makes this god awful racket for 1.5 minutes, and then pauses for 5 minutes and then restarts again.  No response from property manager.  No alarms or calls from security company.  Just a daughter with a migraine sleeping 30 feet from the boiler.  Oh yea and remember the little tidbit about torture.  Take an exhausted person at 3:30 in the morning and wake em up for a minute and then let them fall back to sleep and then repeat 5 minutes later.  You get the picture.  And is the boiler gonna blow up?


So should I be paying rent for this home or should I be getting paid as a caretaker for this property.  We had 3 different trades in to begin service on issues last week, and given the current issues I expect at least 3 different trades this week.  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment